George H. Abdou is Associate Professor of Industrial and Manufacturing Engineering, Associate Chair of the department and Director of the Industrial Engineering programs. He has worked as Associate Professor at Concordia University and as Assistant Professor at University of Windsor and Northern Illinois University.
Dr. Abdou’s research interests are in the area of Robotic Palletization, expert systems for facilities planning and computer-aided process planning, adaptive control optimization for milling operations, and design and implementation of DC brushless linear motor to CNC machines. The total research funding that he has received is about $384,000 as a Principal Investigator and $2,405,379 as a Co-Investigator. Research funding agents are NSERC, NRC, NCE, FCAR, FRDP, ITCC and SME.
He has a B.S. (1977) in Mechanical Engineering from Helwan University in Egypt, and M.S. (1983) and Ph.D. (1987) in Industrial Engineering from Iowa State University.
He is an active member of several professional societies including, SME, IIE, and SPIE. He served as Board Director member of Val-Tile Tool, Inc., Windsor, Ontario (1987-1994), as PE examinee committee member for SME MECI department (1987-1994), as member of the International program committee of IASTED Robotics and Automation conference (1990), as Chairman of Session 6 International Conference on Design and Manufacturing Using Composites (1994), Chairman of AMS-5 session of CSME (1990), as Chairman of WB4.1 session of POM-91, Vice Chairman at SME International conference (1989), and as Consultant for National Research Council (1987-1993).
He has served as Consultant to many companies, such as Pago Fabrics (2001), Snadvik Caramont (2000), Elit Plastics (1999), Besam Co. (1998), Thermometrix (1997), MEMBREX Inc. (1996), Selling Precision Inc. (1996), HSL Ltd. (1991), Val-Tile Tool Inc. (1987-1994), Kirchmair Machine & Tool Co.(1990), Geiger Industries (1989), EMCO Industries (1987), and Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs (1987).
He has authored over 70 publications in scientific engineering journals and conference proceedings, and three chapters in books.
- PhD Industrial Engineering department, Iowa State University, May 1987. Thesis: "Availability Analysis of Flexible Manufacturing Systems"
- Minor Statistics department, Iowa State University, June 1984
- MSc Industrial Engineering department, Iowa State University, 1983
- BS Mechanical Engineering, Helwan University, Cairo, Egypt, 1977
Automated Manufacturing Systems including:
- Robotics palletization
- Expert system applications
- ACO for machining process
- DC brushless linear motor applications
- Abdou, G.H., Basaly, N. and Billatos, S. “A Practical Approach to Design for Quality," Design for Manufacturability, International Mechanical Engineering Congress and Exposition Conference, Atlanta, Georgia, Nov. 17-22, 1996
- Abdou, G.H. and Yien, J., " Analysis of Force Patterns and Tool Life in Milling Operations," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 10, 11-18, 1995
- Abdou, G.H. and Yang, M., “Multi-Layer Palletization of Multi-Size Boxes," International Journal of Advanced Manufacturing Technology, 10, 292-297, 1995
- Other Publications
- "Automation of Clinical Testing Procedures". SBR, NJIT, Operating Grant, $11,000, 1994-1995. (PI)
- "Development of Knowledge-Based Systems Controller". SBR, NJIT, Operating Grant, $6,000, 1993-1994. (PI)
- "An Integrated Approach to Machinability Testing". NSERC, Operating Grant, $70,400, 1992-1995. (PI)
- "Use of sensors in the Optimization & Modeling of Machinability" FCAR, Operating Grant, $42,600, 1992-1995. (PI)
- "Dynamic and Control of Mechanical Systems in Manufacturing". FCAR, Operating Grant, $135,900, 1992-1995. (Co-PI)
- "Dynamic and Control of Mechanical Systems in Manufacturing". FCAR, Capital Equipment, $15,000 from total amount of $ 120,000, 1992. (Co-PI)
- "Retrofitting Deburring Robot with a Versatile Motion Controller". NSERC, Strategic Grant, $189,678, 1992-1993. (Co-PI)
- "Training Program in Manufacturing Technology". Canadian International Development Agency, University Cooperation Projects, $1,685,601, 6/1993 – 5/1998. (CO-PI)
- "Robotic Palletization", NSERC, Capital Equipment, $53,250, 1992-1993. (PI) ". FRDP Concordia U., Operating Grant, $24,000. 1991-1993. (PI) FRDP Concordia U., Capital Equipment, $9,000, 1991. (PI)
- "A Three Dimensional-Procedures for Robotic Palletization
- "An Integrated Approach to Machinability Testing Using Expert Systems".
- "Automated Process Plan Generation". Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Operating Grant. Code OGPIN 020, $54,985. 1988-1991. (PI)
- "A Computer Assisted Pre-Processor for machining Operations". National Council of Engineering Manitoba, Operating Grant, $249,900, 1988-1992. (CO-PI)
- "QC software". IQS Integrated Systems, Inc., Rocky River, Ohio, Capital Equipment, $5,000, 1989. (PI)
- "AutoSolid Software Gift Award", Society of Manufacturing Engineering, Dearborn, Michigan, Capital Equipment, $5,000, 1989. (PI)
- "Computer Integrated Manufacturing". Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Capital Equipment, $24,300, 1989. (Co-PI)
- "Using Physical Simulators for Teaching Automated Manufacturing Systems". U. Windsor Research Board Grant, Operating Grant, $1,250, 1987. (PI)
- "Design and Application of Linear Induction Motors in Flexible Manufacturing Systems". Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs, Project #53, $41,981, 1987. (PI)
- "Cost Benefit Analysis and Reduction of Labor and Energy Costs for Controlled Environment Agriculture". Illinois Department of Commerce and Community Affairs, Project #1, $34,975, 1986. (PI)
- "Interventions of Waterjet Technology on Surgical Procedures". Department of Health and Human Services in New Jersey, Operating Grant, $449,366, 1997. (PI)
- "3D Stacking Palletization with Vision Controlled Robot System". National Science Foundation, Operating Grant, $98,675, 1994. (PI)
- "Multi-Layer Robotic Palletization of Multi-Size Boxes". Intel Foundation Research Initiation Grant. Operating Grant, $25,900, 1993. (PI)
- "The Development of a Knowledge-Based Manufacturing Controller". Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Operating Grant, $424,500, 1993. (PI)
- "Intelligent Machining Cell". FRDP Concordia University, Operating Grant, $24,235, 1991. (PI) The Use of Sensors in the Optimization & Modeling of Machinability". Natural Science and Engineering Research Council of Canada, Operating Grant, $39,122, 1993. (PI)