- North Carolina State University, PhD 1966
- University of Toledo, MS 1963
- National Taiwan University, BS 1957
Academic and Research Appointments
- Named Professor Emeritus, January 27, 2014
- Associate Chair for Graduate Studies, New Jersey Institute of Technology, Mechanical Engineering (January 1993-2000)
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering, New Jersey Institute of Technology (1966-Present).
Theoretical studies in deposition of particles suspended in gas stream in conduits due to inertia, viscous, gravity and electrostatic forces using finite element and finite difference methods
- Chen, R. Y., Chiou, H.C. and Sun, D. "Deposition of Particles in a Convergent Channel" Powder Technology, vol 87, pp. 83-86, 1996.
- Chen, R.Y., Chen, W.C. and Lai, C.S. "Deposition of Charged Particles in a Channel" Powder Tech. vol.74, pp.135-140, 1993
- Chen, R.Y., Hui, K. H and Lu, C.H. "A Theoretical Study of Deposition of Charged Particles in a Convergent Channel due to Image Forces" Powder Tech. vol. 61, pp.225-229, 1990
- Chen, R. Y. and Kojack, T. A. "Deposition of Suspensions in the Entrance of a diffuser - Electrostatic and Gravitational Effects" Computer & Fluids, Vol.7, No.4, pp.295-304, 1979
- Chen, R. Y. "Flow in the Entrance Region at Low Reynolds Numbers" J of Fluids Engrg, Trans. ASME pp.153-158, 1975
- Chen, R.Y.and Williams, J.C."On Transition from Supersonic to Subsonic Flow at Low Reynolds Numbers in a Tube" J of Appl. Mech. Trans. ASME , pp.146-150, 1970