Ismet Esra Buyuktahtakin-Toy
|Dept:||mechanincal and industrial engineering|
Esra Büyüktahtakιn Toy has been an Associate Professor in the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology since 2017. Prior to joining to NJIT, she worked at Wichita State University and the University of Arizona. Dr. Büyüktahtakιn Toy’s research interests focus on optimization, mixed-integer programming, and dynamic programming with traditional and non-traditional applications of OR in health-care, environment, and sustainability. She is the recipient of the 2016 NSF CAREER Award.
- Ph.D., Industrial Engineering, University of Florida, 2009
- M.S., Management Science, Lehigh University, 2007
- M.S., Industrial Engineering, Bilkent University, 2005
Dr. Büyüktahtakιn's research interests include the development of optimization approaches to address challenging research problems in complex systems by a mix of theoretical and computational analysis. Of particular interests are:
- Mixed Integer Programming
- Dynamic Programming
- Optimization under Uncertainty
- Resource allocation for intervening Invasive Species and Epidemic Diseases
- Water-Biofuel-Food Nexus and Sustainability Issues
- Asset Management under New Technology and Deterioration
- Supply Chain Management, Production Planning and Logistics
- Health-care Systems
Research Recognition in the News
- Wichita State assistant professor wins $500,000 award for work on ecological systems,
- 2016 INFORMS Early Career Award, INFORMS Conference, Nov 2016, Nashville, TN
- 2016 INFORMS Moving Spirit Award, INFORMS Conference, Nov 2016, Nashville, TN
- 2016 INFORMS Volunteer Service Award, INFORMS Conference, Nov 2016, Nashville, TN
- 2015 INFORMS Subdivision Awards, ORMS Today 13(1), 55, February 2016.
- Engineering professor receives grant for research on invasive species, The SunFlower, March 22, 2016
- Engineering professor wins National Science Foundation award, Wichita State News, February 29, 2016
- February academe at Wichita State, Wichita State News, February 8, 2016
- USDA AFRI Award, USDA.gov, March 1, 2016
- Professors’ research helping Kansas ranchers with invasive weeds, Wichita State News, August 16, 2016
- Wichita State University invasive species research will aid Kansas ranchers, Newswise, August 24, 2016
- Award Abstract #1554018, CAREER: Dynamic Invasive Species Control Optimization via Integrated Education and Research (DISCOVER), NSF.gov, February 18, 2016
- Mixed-integer programming for asset replacement, Industrial Engineer 47(3), 54, March 2015.
- WSU graduate, undergraduate students present research in Topeka, Feb. 11-12, Wichita State News, February 9, 2015
- First Awardee Projects–2012, NSF Kansas EPSCoR, May, 2012
Journal Papers Accepted or in Print (* Graduate student, **Undergraduate student)
- İ. E. Büyüktahtakın, J. C. Smith, and J. C. Hartman, “Partial objective inequalities for the multi-item capacitated lot-sizing problem,” forthcoming in Computers & Operations Research, 2017.
- İ. E. Büyüktahtakın and R. G. Haight, “A review of operations research models in invasive species management: state of the art, challenges, and future directions,” forthcoming in Annals of Operations Research, 2017
- İ. E. Büyüktahtakın, E. des-Bordes*, and, E. Kibis*, “A New Epidemics-Logistics Model: Insights into Controlling the Ebola Virus Disease in West Africa,” forthcoming in European Journal of Operational Research, 2017. doi.org/10.1016/j.ejor.2017.08.037
- E. Kibis* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “Optimizing Invasive Species Management: A Mixed-Integer Linear Programming Approach,” European Journal of Operational Research, 259, 308-321, 2017.
- H. I. Cobuloglu* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “A Two-Stage Stochastic Mixed-Integer Programming Approach to the Competition of Biofuel and Food Production,” Computers & Industrial Engineering, 107, 251-263, 2017.
- H. I. Cobuloglu* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “A Mixed-Integer Optimization Model for the Economic and Environmental Analysis of Biomass Production”, Biomass & Bioenergy, 67, 8-23, 2014 (Won the 2015 INFORMS Best Publication Award in Environment- Sustainability)
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin, J. C. Smith, J. C. Hartman, and S. Luo, “Parallel Asset Replacement Problem under Economies of Scale with Multiple Challengers”, The Engineering Economist, 59 (4), 237-258, 2014 (Featured article of the IE Magazine of the IIE)
- Z. Quick*, G. Houseman, and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “Assessing the Importance of Wind and Mammals as Seed Dispersal Vectors in an Invasive Legume,” Weed Research, 57 (1), 35–43, 2017.
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin and N. Liu*, “Dynamic Programming Approximation Algorithms for the Capacitated Lot-Sizing Problem”, Journal of Global Optimization, 65(2), 231-259, 2016
- E. des-Bordes* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, "Optimizing Capital Investments under Technological Change and Deterioration: A Case Study on MRI Machine Replacement", forthcoming in The Engineering Economist, 2016
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin and J. C. Hartman, “A Mixed-Integer Programming Approach to the Parallel Replacement Problem under Technological Change”, International Journal of Production Research, 54(3), 680-695, 2016.
- H. I. Cobuloglu* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “A stochastic multi-criteria decision analysis for sustainable biomass crop selection”, Expert Systems With Applications, 42 (15–16), 6065–6074, 2015 (IF: 2.981)
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin, E. Kibis*, H. I. Cobuloglu*, G. R. Houseman, and J. T. Lampe**, “An age-structured bio-economic model of invasive species management: Insights and strategies for optimal control”, Biological Invasions, 17:2545–2563, 2015 (IF: 2.855)
- Alperen Kantas*, H. Cobuloglu*, and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, "Multi-source capacitated lot-sizing for economically viable and clean biofuel production", Journal of Cleaner Production, 94, 116–129, 2015 (IF: 4.959)
- H. I. Cobuloglu* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “Food vs Biofuel: An Optimization Approach to the Spatio-Temporal Analysis of Land-Use Competition and Environmental Impacts”, Applied Energy, 140, 418–434, 2015 (IF: 5.746)
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin, Z. Feng*, A. Olsson, G. Frisvold and F. Szidarovszky, “Invasive Species Control Optimization as a Dynamic Spatial Process: An Application to Buffelgrass (Pennisetum ciliare) in Arizona”, Invasive Plant Science and Management, 7 (1), 132-146, 2014
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin, Z. Feng* and F. Szidarovszky, "A Multi-Objective Optimization Model for Invasive Species Control", Journal of Operational Research Society, 65, 1625–1635, 2014
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin, Z. Feng*, F. Szidarovszky, G. Frisvold, “Invasive Species Control based on a Cooperative Game”, Applied Mathematics, 4 (10B), 54-59, 2013
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin, Z. Feng*, F. Szidarovszky, G. Frisvold, and A. Olsson, “A Dynamic Model of Controlling Invasive Species”, Computers and Mathematics with Applications, 62, 3326-3333, 2011
- B. Song, I. E. Büyüktahtakin, S. Ranka, and T. Kahveci, “Manipulating the steady state of metabolic pathways”, IEEE/ACM Transactions on Computational Biology and Bioinformatics, 8(3), 732-747, 2011
- J. C. Hartman, I. E. Büyüktahtakin and J. C. Smith, “Dynamic Programming based Inequalities for the Capacitated Lot-sizing Problem”, IIE Transactions, 42(12), 915-930, 2010
Refereed Book Chapters
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “Dynamic Programming via Linear Programming”, Wiley Encyclopedia of Operations Research and Management Science, 1561-1566, 2011
- B. Song, I. E. Büyüktahtakin, N. Bandyopadhyay, S. Ranka, and T. Kahveci, “Identifying enzyme knockout strategies on multiple enzyme associations”, Bioinformatics - Trends and Methodologies, ISBN: 978-953-307-282-1, InTech, 2011.
- E. Y. Kibis*, I. E. Büyüktahtakin, and Ali Dag, “Data Analytics Approaches for Breast Cancer Survivability: Comparison of Data Mining Methods,” Proceedings of the 2017 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference (ISERC), Pittsburgh, PA, May 2017.
- E. Y. Kibis* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “A Review of Optimization Models on Invasive Species Management,” Proceedings of the 2016 Industrial and Systems Engineering Research Conference (ISERC), Anaheim, CA, May 2016.
- M. M. Hasan*, I. E. Büyüktahtakin, and E. Elamin, “Defining Multiple Criteria for Selecting an Effective Treatment Plan for Breast Cancer,” Proceedings of the 2016 ISERC, Anaheim, CA, May 2016.
- E. des-Bordes* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, "Optimal Replacement Strategies for Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI) and Computed Tomography (CT) Scanning Machines with Energy Concerns", Proceedings of the International Conference on Agriculture, Environment and Biological Sciences (ICFAE’14), Antalya, Turkey, June 2014 (Won the Best Paper Award)
- E. Y. Kibis* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, "Simulating Treatment Strategies for Invasive Species Control under Dispersal Uncertainty", Proceedings of the International Conference on Agriculture, Environment and Biological Sciences (ICFAE’14), Antalya, Turkey, June 2014
- H. I. Cobuloglu* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “A Review of Lignocellulosic Biomass and Biofuel Supply Chain Models”, Proceedings of the 2014 ISERC, Montreal, Canada, May 2014
- H. I. Cobuloglu* and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “A Multi-Criteria Approach for Biomass Crop Selection under Fuzzy Environment”, Proceedings of the 2014 ISERC, Montreal, Canada, May 2014
- H. Vali*, M. B. Yildirim, I. E. Büyüktahtakin, and D. Malzahn, “Cash Flow Optimization in a Multi-Project Environment,” Proceedings of the 2012 ISERC, Orlando, FL, May 2012.
- T. Lampe** and I. E. Büyüktahtakin, “An energy efficient health-care asset replacement model including multiple asset types”, Proceedings of the 2012 Industrial Engineering Research Conference, 2012
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin, Z. Feng, G. Frisvold and F. Szidarovszky, “A Game Theoretical Approach to Invasive Species Management”, Proceedings of the 2011 Industrial Engineering Research Conference, 2011
- I. E. Büyüktahtakin and J. C. Hartman, “Parallel Replacement Problem under Technological Change and Deterioration”, Proceedings of the 2009 Industrial Engineering Research Conference, 2009