Ian S. Fischer
Ian S. Fischer, Eng.Sc.D, is a professor of mechanical engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology. His current research interests are in the dual-number analysis of mechanisms, and in particulate and multiphase flows. The mechanism analysis emphases the dual-number coordinate-transformation matrix kinematics of displacements, velocity, and acceleration, and the statics and inertia dynamics of spatial mechanisms as well as spherical, planar and offset mechanisms. The flow analysis considers the motion of particles on liquid-fluid interfaces, adsorption of particles on liquid surfaces, dynamics of particle-laden droplets in electric fields, and electro-rheological fluids.
- Columbia University, EngScD 1985
- Princeton University, MSE 1973
- Columbia University, BS 1970
Awards and Honors
- Robert W. Van Houten Award for Teaching Excellence (NJIT Alumni Association, 1996).
- George A Wood Award (National Applied Mechanisms and Robotics Conference, 1995).
- Particulate Flows
- Design of spatial mechanisms, dual-number mechanics, mechanical aspects of robotics
- Kinematics and the design of mechanisms. Dual-number coordinate-transformation methods are being developed to analyze displacements, velocities, statics and dynamics of complex spatial mechanisms.
- Ian S. Fischer “Relative Accelerations in Spatial Mechanisms” ASME Journal of Mechanisms and Robotics February 2012 (v.4 n.1).
- S. Gurupatham, M. Hossain, B. Dalal, I.S. Fischer, P. Singh, D.D. Joseph “Breakup of Particle Clumps on Liquid Surfaces” Powder Technology February 2012 (v.217) pp.228-297.
- P. Singh, D.D. Joseph, I.S. Fischer, and B. Dalal “Role of particle inertia in adsorption at fluid-liquid interfaces” Physical Review E April 2011 (v.83 n.4)
- Ian S. Fischer “The Planar Mechanism as a Special Case in the Automatic Computation of Static Equilibrium” Mechanics Research Communications July 2008 v.35 n.5 pp.320-329.
- Ian S. Fischer “Static Equilibrium of Spatial Mechanisms with Cylindrical Joints” ASME Journal of Mechanical Design June 2008 v.130 n.6 pp.062305-1-9.
- Ian S. Fischer “Static Analysis of Mechanisms with Ball Joints” Mechanics Based Design of Structures and Machines April 2008 v.35 no.2 pp.129-149.
- Ian S. Fischer “Static Forces and Torques in Mechanisms with Plane Joints, with Application to the Tractra Coupling” IME Journal of Multi-Body Dynamics, Part K, December 2007 (v.221, n.K4) pp.599-614.
- Ian S. Fischer “Velocity Analysis of Mechanisms with Ball Joints” Mechanics Research Communications, v.30, n.1 pp.69-78, February 2003.
- Ian S. Fischer "Numerical Analysis of Displacements in Spatial Mechanisms with Ball Joints" Mechanisms and Machine Theory, v.30, n.1, pp.69-78, February 2003.
- Ian S. Fischer “Computation of Velocity in the Plane Joint with Application to the Tracta Coupling” IME Journal of Multi-Body Dynamics, Part K, v.216, n.3, pp.263-270, September 2002.
- Ian S. Fischer "Joint-Link Parameter Assignment in Mechanisms and Robotics" International Journal of Engineering Education, v.28, n.3, pp.227-245, July 2000.
- Ian S. Fischer “A Geometric Method for Determining Joint Rotations in the Inverse Kinematics of Robotic Manipulators” Journal of Robotic Systems v.17, n.2, pp.107-117, February 2000.
- Ian S. Fischer "Modeling the Plane Joint" ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, v.121, n.3, pp.383-386, September 1999.
- Ian S. Fischer "Numerical Analysis of Displacements in a Tracta Coupling" Engineering with Computers, v.15, n.4, pp.334-344, 1999.
- Ian S. Fischer “Intermediate-Joint Displacements in the Myard Constant-Velocity Coupling” Industrial Mathematics, v.49, part 2, pp.55-68, 1999.
- Ian S. Fischer, "Dual Angle and Axis of a Screw Motion" Mechanisms and Machine Theory, v.33, n.3, pp.331-340, April 1998.
- Rajesh N. Dave, Ian S. Fischer, Jonathan Luke, Robert Pfeffer and Anthony D. Rosato "Particle Technology Concentration at NJIT: An NSF-CRCD Program" Chemical Engineering Education, v.32, n.2, pp. 102-107, Spring 1998.
- Rajesh N. Dave, Anthony Rosato and Ian S. Fischer "Non-Intrusive Particle Tracking System for Particulate Flows and Vibrated Granular Beds" Particulate Science and Technology, v.17, n.1-2, pp. 125-139, January-June 1999.
- Ian S. Fischer and Johannes K. de Waal, "Experimental Study of Cardan-Joint Dynamics" ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, v.117, n.4, pp.526-531, December 1995.
- Ian S. Fischer "Dynamics of the Ideal Wobble-Plate Mechanism" Journal of Applied Mechanisms & Robotics, v.2, n.3, pp.1-6, July 1995.
- I.S. Fischer and P.M. Remington, "Errors in Constant-Velocity Shaft Couplings," ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, v.116, pp.204-209, March 1994.
- I.S. Fischer, ed., chapter 12, "Applications", Modern Kinematics: Developments in the Last Forty Years, John Wiley & Sons, Inc., New York, pp. 521-574, 1993.
- I.S. Fischer, "A Complete Notation for Dual Velocity," ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, vol.114, pp. 263-268, June 1992.
- I.S. Fischer and R.N. Paul, "Kinematic Displacements in a Double-Cardan-Joint Drive Shaft," ASME Journal of Mechanical Design, vol. 13, pp. 263-271, September 1991.
- I.S. Fischer and F. Freudenstein, "Internal Force and Moment Transmission in a Cardan Joint with Manufacturing Tolerances," ASME Journal of Mechanisms, Transmissions and Automation in Design, v.106, pp.301-311, September 1984.
- Ian S. Fischer, Dual-Number Methods in Kinematics, Statics and Dynamics. CRC Press, LLC., 1999, ISBN 0-8493-9115-6.