Harry V. Kountouras
Harry Kountouras has served as a University Lecturer and Senior University Lecturer at NJIT for over thirty years. Prior to his appointment at NJIT, he has held positions as instructor and adjunct assistant professor at CCNY, Manhattan College, Pratt Institute and Cooper Union. Over the years, he has prided himself in applying the highest teaching standards in the classroom, while applying a hands-on approach to the theories and concepts presented in lectures and laboratories. He has emphasized the use of the Design Project as a valuable tool in translating concepts into reality. With his role as Faculty Advisor with the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) and the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), projects from course work have consistently earned top prizes in National Competitions. In the ASME National Student Design Contest alone, NJIT has taken First Place nine times in the last fourteen years. In addition, top finishes have been achieved in the SAE Aero Contest, the SAE Baja Contest and the SAE Formula Contest. What students learn in the classroom is quickly translated in a tangible design worthy of recognition in National Competition. . Kountouras has been the recipient of a University Excellence-In-Teaching Award as well as a Newark College of Engineering Excellence-In-Advising Award.
Academic and Research Appointments
- Special Lecturer, Department of Mechanical Engineering, NJIT, 1983-88, 1993-1999.
- Assistant Professor, Department of Engineering Technology, NJIT, 1988-93.
- Instructor, Mechanical Engineering Department Manhattan College, 1978-83.
- Visiting Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, Pratt Institute, 1980-83
- Lecturer (part-time), Department of Mechanical Engineering, CCNY, 1971-78
- Director of Curricular Guidance, School of Engineering, City College of New York, 1977-78.
- Director of the Comprehensive Math and Science Program (CMSP), City College of New York 1977-78, Manhattan College 1978-80.
- City College of New York, ME (MECH),1973
- City College of New York, BE (MECH), 1971
Awards and Honors
- Newark College of Engineering Excellence in Advising Award 2008
- NJIT University Teaching Excellence Award 1997
- Chair of ASME National Student Sections Committee Membership Subcommittee 1995-99
- Region II Senior Representative to ASME National Student Sections Committee 1995-99
- Member of ASME Region II Operating Board 1993-99
- Director of College Relations ASME Region II
- Faculty Advisor ASME, 1994-1999. Directed four consecutive National Student Design First Places in Region II. Also directed three consecutive Allied-Signal First Places 1997-1999.
- ASME Special Achievement Award, 1996
- Faculty Advisor, Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE), 1984-1995. Directed the SAE Baja National Student Design Program. NJIT finishing with an overall Second Place in 1987.
- SAE Special Recognition Award, 1988 and 1994.
- Awarded NJIT Alumni Association Grant for National Student Design Contest 1996-1999.
- Director of the US FIRST ROBOTICS COMPETITION, 1996-1999.