I am an aerospace engineer by training. I received a M.Sc. in aerospace engineering in from Politecnico di Milano with a thesis written at AIRBUS Industrie in Hamburg, Germany. After working in experimental combustion for two years after graduation, I moved to the Barcelona Supercomputing Center in Spain to work on my doctoral degree in computational fluid dynamics and numerical weather prediction under the supervision of Dr. Oriol Jorba and Dr. Mariano Vázquez.
I joined NJIT after spending two years as a National Research Council fellow (National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, Medicine) at the Naval Postgraduate School in Monterey in the group of Prof. Francis X. Giraldo, and two years as a research scientist at Stanford University, supervised by Dr. Jenny Suckale.
My main research interests lie in the broad field of fluid dynamics. In particular, the numerical simulation of turbulent flows via large eddy simulation of compressible and incompressible flows, and aeroacoustics.
Throughout my scientific career, I spent extended periods of time at the University of Texas at Austin, at the Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics at UCLA, at the Isaac Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences at Cambridge University, and at the Naval Postgraduate School under a fellowship of the Office of Naval Research Global.
- Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya jointly with the Barcelona Supercomputing Center, Ph.D. 2012
- Politecnico di Milano, Italy, Aerospace Engineering, M.S. 2005
- Stanford University, Research Scientist, 2015 - 2017
- Naval Postgraduate School, Fellow of the National Research Council, 2013 - 2015
Services to the community:
- Topical Editor at Geoscientific Model Development
- Reviewer for Journal of Computational Physics
- Reviewer for Quarterly Journal of the Royal Meteorological Society
- Reviewer for SIAM Journal of Numerical Analysis
Awards and honors:
- Award for extraordinary doctoral thesis 2012/2013 ("Premis Extraordinaris de Doctorat 2012/2013") from Universitat Politècnica de Catalunya, Barcelona, Spain
- Visiting grant from National Science Foundation (NSF) and Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (IPAM) at UCLA, U.S.A.
- Research associateship from the National Research Council of the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine. 2013. Department of Applied Mathematics of the Naval Postgraduate School.
- Visiting grant from the Newton Institute for Mathematical Sciences of Cambridge University: 2012 for "Multiscale Numerics for the Atmosphere and Ocean." Aug - Dec 2012
- Grant by the Visiting Scientist Program of the Office of Naval Research Global (ONRG), U.S.A.. 2010. Department of Applied Mathematics of the Naval Postgraduate School.
- Visiting grant from the National Science Foundation (NSF) and Institute for Pure and Applied Mathematics (IPAM) at UCLA, U.S.A. for "Model and Data Hierarchies for Simulating and Understanding Climate". Mar 2010 - Jun 2010