Anthony D. Rosato
Anthony D. Rosato, PhD, is a professor in the department of mechanical engineering at New Jersey Institute of Technology. His current research interests are in the broad field of particle technology, with an emphasis on computational modeling, including discrete element and Monte Carlo simulations. His recent interests are in computational modeling and dynamical systems approaches to wave propagation in granular systems.
Dr. Rosato previously served as associate chair for graduate studies in the Department of Mechanical Engineering from 2001-2003, and as a visiting scholar at Stanford University´s Department of Mechanical Engineering in fall 2003. He has held visiting appointments in ESPCI (Paris) and the University of Salerno (Italy) and Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory. He was the founding director of the Particle Technology Center from 1995-99, and the department´s Granular Science Laboratory from 1999 to the present. He is a member of the Faculty Senate Executive Committee and a Member-at-Large of the Professional Staff Association.
- Carnegie Mellon University, PhD 1985
- Carnegie Mellon University, MS 1981
- Northwestern University, MS 1979
- Pratt Institute, BE 1975
Academic and Research Appointments
- Professor, Mechanical Engineering, NJIT, June 2002 - Present
- NJIT Faculty Senate - Executive Committee Member, 2014-present
- Associate Chair for Graduate Studies, Mechanical Engineering Department, NJIT, 2001 - 2003.
- Visiting Scholar, Stanford University, Dept. of Mechanical Engineering, Fall 2003
- Associate Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, NJIT, 1993-2002.
- Director, Granular Science Laboratory, 1999-Present.
- Director, NJIT Particle Technology Center, 1995-1999.
- Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering Department, NJIT, 1987-1993.
- Visiting Scientist: The Lovelace Institutes (NM), 11/1995 – 8/1996.
- Visiting Associate Professor of Mechanical Engineering: Worcester Polytechnic Institute, Fall 1995.
- Joliot Professorship, ESPCI (Paris), September 1994- October 1994.
- Summer Faculty Fellowship, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory, 1989, 1990.
- Faculty, Governor´s School in the Sciences: Drew University, (Madison, NJ), August 1988.
Awards and Honors
- Fellow, American Academy of Mechanics (2016)
- Fulbright Scholar 2011
- Editor-in-Chief, Mechanics Research Communications, April 2007-present
- Fellow, American Society of Mechanical Engineers
- Tau Beta Pi, Sigma Xi, Pi Tau Sigma Professional
Granular Science Laboratory
The Granular Science Laboratory (GSL) focuses on modeling and understanding the fundamental nature of the behavior of granular materials. Research activities are motivated by applications in the solids handling and processing industries (i.e., chemical, agriculture, mining, and pharmaceutical), as well as by geophysical flows. Because of the broad interdisciplinary nature of the field, projects involve realistic computer simulations, visualization and data processing, algorithm development, model experiments and theory.
- Member, ASCE Engineering Mechanics Institute,
- Editorial Board of the Americas, Kona
- Editor-in-Chief, Mechanics Researach Communications (2007-present)
- Member, Committee on Publication Ethics
- Fellow, American Academy of Mechanics
- Hoover International Award Board Member
- NJIT AAUP/NJIT Member-at-large
- John Calandra Italian American institute
- Vice-Chair, Engineering Mechanics Institute Granular Materials Technical Committee
- Engineering Mechanics Institute Inelasticity Committee
- International Union of Theoretical and Applied Mechanics http://www.iutam.net/iutam/Addresses/index.php/Rosato
- Scientific Committee, 5th World Congress on Particle Technology, April 2006
- Co-Editor-in-Chief, Mechanics Research Communications, 2005 – 2007
- NJIT Center for Applied Mathematics
- Founding Organizer - Elsevier Distinguished Lectures in Mechanics (2008 - Present)
American Society of Civil Engineers(ASCE), Engineering Mechanics
Behavior of energetic granular systems with applications to the solids handling and processing: Wave propagation, microstructure evolution, computation of macroscopic properties, discrete dynamical systems approaches, segregation in multi-component systems, granular dynamics simulations, Monte Carlo simulations applied to multi-body problems; Application of discrete dynamical systems to multi-body problems
C. R.K. Windows-Yule, A. D. Rosato, D. L. Blackmore, “Energy decay in a tapped granular column: Can a one-dimensional toy model provide insight into fully three-dimensional systems”, Phys. Rev. E 96 , 042902 (2017). (https://doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.96.042902).
D. Blackmore, A. D. Rosato, S. Sen, H. Wu, “Simulation, Modeling and Dynamical Analysis of Multibody Flows”, Int. J. Mod. Phys. B 31 , 1742004, April 2017. (https://doi.org/10.1142/S0217979217420048).
A. D. Rosato, L. Zuo, D. Blackmore, H. Wu, D. Horntrop, D. Parker, C. Windows-Yule, “Tapped Granular Column Dynamics: Simulations, Experiments and Modeling”, J. Comp. Part. Mech. 3(3), pp. 333-348 (2016). (http://doi:10.1007/s40571-015-0075-2).
C. R. K. Windows-Yule, A. D. Rosato, D. J. Parker, et al., “Maximizing energy transfer in vibrofluidized granular systems”, Physical Review E 91, 052203, May 22, 2015. (http://dx.doi.org/10.1103/PhysRevE.91.052203).
C. R. K. Windows-Yule, A. D. Rosato, A. R. Thornton, D. J. Parker, "Resonance effects on the dynamics of dense granular beds: achieving optimal energy transfer in vibrated granular systems", New J. Phys. 17 (2015) 023015 (doi: 10.1088/1367-2630/17/2/023015).
- C. Windows-Yule, Rosato, A. D., Rivas, N. Parker, D. J., “Influence of Initial Conditions on Granular Dynamnics near the Jamming Transition”, New Journal of Physics 16, 063016 (2014). doi:10.1088/1367-2630/16/6/063016
- D. Blackmore, A. D. Rosato, X. Tricoche, K. Urban, L. Zuo, "Analysis, Simulation, Visualization of 1D Tapping via Reduced Dynamical Systems Models", Physica D 273-74, pg. 14-27, (2014) .
- A. D. Rosato, D. Blackmore, K. Urban, L. Zuo, X. Tricoche, "Dynamical Systems Model and Discrete Element Simulations of a Tapped Granular Column, Powders & Grains 2013 (July 8-12, 2013, Sydney, Australia), AIP Conf. Pro. 1541, pp. 317-320 (2013).
- V. Ratnaswamy, A. D. Rosato, D. Blackmore, X. Tricoche, N. Ching, L. Zuo, “Evolution of Solids Fraction Surfaces in Taping: Simulation and Dynamical Systems Analysis”, Granular Matter 14, 163-168 (2012).
- D. Blackmore, A. D. Rosato, X. Tricoche, K. Urban, V. Ratnaswamy, "Tapping Dynamics of Granular Columns and Beyond", Journal of Mechanics, Materials and Structures 6 [1-4], 71-86 (2011).
- A. Rosato, O. Dybenko, V. Ratnaswamy, D. Horntrop, L. Kondic, "Microstructure Evolution in Tapped Granular Systems" , Physical Review E 81, 061301 (2010).
- D. Blackmore, K. Urban, A. D. Rosato, "Integrability Analysis of Regular and Fractional BSR Fields", Journal of Condensed Matter Physics 13 , 43403: 1-7, (2010).
- A. Rosato, Y. Lan, M. Richman, “Self-Diffusion Calculations in an Energetically Vibrated Granular System”, Powder Technology 182 , 228-231 (2008).
- O.Dybenko, A. Rosato, D. Horntrop, “Monte Carlo Modeling of Density Relaxation Induced by Energetic Taps”, Kona Particle and Powder 25 (2007).
- N. Zhang and A. D. Rosato, “Experiments and Simulations on Vibration Induced Densification of Bulk Solids”, Kona Particle and Powder 24, 93-103 (2006).
- J. Liu and A. D. Rosato, “Migration of an Intruder in a Boundary Driven Granular Flow”, J. Phys: Condens. Matter 17, S2609-S2622 (2005).
- A. D. Rosato, D. L. Blackmore, L. Buckley, C. Oshman, M. Johnson, “Experimental, Simulation and Nonlinear Dynamics Analysis of Galton’s Board”, International Journal of Nonlinear Sciences and Numerical Simulation 5(4), 289-332, (2004).
- N. Zhang and A. D. Rosato, “Analysis of Instantaneous Dynamic States of Vibrated Granular Materials”, Mechanics Research Communications 31 , 525-544, (2004).
- A. D. Rosato, D. Blackmore, N. Zhang, Y. Lan, “An Overview of Vibration-Induced Size Segregation of Granular Materials,” Chemical Engineering Science 57, 265-275, (2002).
- A. D. Blackmore, R. Samulyak and A. D. Rosato, “New Mathematical Models for Particle Flow Dynamics,” Journal of Nonlinear Mathematical Physics 6 , 198-221, (1999).
- L. Labous, A. D. Rosato and R. N. Dave, “Measurement of Sphere Collision Properties,” Phys. Rev. E 56, 5717 (1997).
- Caprihan, E. Fuikushima, A. D. Rosato and M. Kos, “Magnetic Resonance Imaging of Vibrating Granular Beds by Spatial Scanning,” Rev. Sci. Instr. 68 (11), 4217-4220 (1997).
- Y. Lan and A. D. Rosato, "Convection Related Phenomenon in Vibrated Granular Beds,” Phys. Fluids 9 (12), 3615-3624 (1997).
- L. Vanel, A. D. Rosato, R. N. Dave, “Rise Regimes of a Single Large Sphere in a Vibrated Bed,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 78, 1225 (1997).
- Y. Lan and A. D. Rosato, “Macroscopic Behavior of Granular Vibrating Beds of Smooth Inelastic Spheres,” Phys. Fluids 7 , 1818-1831 (1995).
- A. D. Rosato, H. Kim, “Particle Dynamics Calculations of Wall Stresses and Slip Velocities for Granular Couette Flow of Smooth Inelastic Spheres,” Continuum Mechanics and Thermodynamics 6  (1994).
- A. D. Rosato, K. J. Strandburg, F. Prinz, R. H. Swendsen, “Why the Brazil Nuts Are On Top: Size Segregation of Particulate Matter by Shaking,” Phys. Rev. Lett. 58, 1038-1042 (1987).