The Industrial Engineering Program is committed to provide a diverse student body with rigorous educational experience that builds on a solid knowledge of science and engineering fundamentals an application oriented knowledge of Industrial Engineering practice and design, and to prepare graduates to function effectively in today's multi-disciplinary, global and rapidly changing work environment.
To accomplish this mission:
IME Program faculty engage in research, consulting activities and service to the profession and local industries and government entities
Students engage in project, internship, co-op and professional and honor society activities
Alumni participate actively in the affairs of the department by providing mentoring services to students and advice to the department
Industry provides internships, co-ops, senior project topics, equipment and advise to the department
If you are interested in studying industrial engineering, NJIT is a great place to do it. Responding to a recent survey, one student wrote "Overall I find the BS in Industrial Engineering program at NJIT to be extremely interesting and rewarding. I am proud to be a part of the NJIT experience and would recommend this institute and its program to others." The pride of students in the program reflects the pride that the department has for its students. The department faculty always strive to provide personalized attention to students, insure that they make satisfactory progress and eventually graduate, and assist in any way possible with employment opportunities. There is also a group of active recent alumni who provide networking opportunities and act as role models for students.
BSIE Program Educational Objectives
Our BSIE program educational objectives reflect the achievements of our recent alumni. The current Industrial Engineering program educational objectives are:
Objective 1: Program graduates use the fundamental principles and major areas of Industrial Engineering in their professional practice.
Objective 2: Program graduates are life-long learners, pursuing graduate education and professional growth in Industrial Engineering and related fields.
Objective 3: Program graduates pursue diverse career paths in a variety of industries.
BSIE Student Outcomes
- An ability to apply knowledge of mathematics, science and engineering
- An ability to design and conduct experiments, as well as to analyze and interpret data
- An ability to design a system, component or process to meet desired needs within realistic constraints such as economics, environmental, social, political, ethical, health and safety, manufacturability and sustainability
- An ability to function on multi-disciplinary teams
- An ability to identify, formulate and solve engineering problems
- An understanding of professional and ethical responsibility
- An ability to communicate effectively
- The broad education necessary to understand the impact of engineering solutions in a global, economic, environmental and societal context
- A recognition of the need for and an ability to engage in life-long learning
- A knowledge of contemporary issues
- An ability to use the techniques, skills and modern engineering tools necessary for engineering practice
This program is accredited by the Engineering Accreditation Commission of ABET, http://abet.org