1. The Advisement Period or Appointed time period is assigned to you for the following reasons:
- to provide you more time with your advisor,
- eliminate long waits during the registration period,
- avoid last minute registration and
- get the classes you want and need at the time you prefer.
There is an appointed time period for each of the semesters and it is based on the following:
- A current GPA of 2.5 and above
- A current GPA of less than 2.5
Appointed Advisement period for Fall Semesters:
- If your current GPA is equal or greater than 2.500, your advisement period starts every 3rd week in February and ends at the end of 2nd week in March.
- If your current GPA isless than 2.500, your advisement period starts every 3rd week in March and ends at the end of 1st week in April.
Appointed Advisement period for Spring Semesters:
- If your current GPA is equal or greater than 2.500, your advisement period starts every 3rd week in September and ends at the end of 1st week in October.
- If your current GPA is less than 2.500, your advisement period starts every 2nd week in October and ends at the end of 1st week in November.
2. See your advisor according to the advisement period; make an appointment when necessary by contacting the MIE department at 973-596-3331, 3332 or 3333.
3. Before you meet with your advisor, complete an MIE course approval form (available on the website under forms) and have a tentative list of courses ready to discuss with your advisor.
4. Meet with your advisor during appointed time and your hold will be removed accordingly.
5. Register for the approved selected courses online through NJIT self-registration system, when the system becomes available.
Missed Appointed time: Please note that if you do not come in to see your advisor within your appointed time, you will have to setup an appointment in order to meet with your advisor and have your hold removed.
All students are welcomed to see their advisor at any time, but during the appointed time spans, student with appointed time will be given preference.
A transfer student who has completed a semester of course work at NJIT will no longer be considered as a transfer student. He or she will now be considered as a continuing freshman, sophomore, junior or senior.
Prerequisites: You must have completed or are in the process of completing all the prerequisites for the courses you plan to enroll.
It is your responsibility to make certain that the elective courses you are taking meet the elective requirements. ME electives and technical electives can be selected from the list provided on the ME website; Electives selected from other sources must be approved by the Associate Chair. IE electives can be selected from the list of IE electives provided at the bottom of the IE curriculum in the NJIT Course Catalog; Electives selected from other sources must be approved by the Associate Chair.
Graduate courses: As undergraduates, you will not be permitted to take graduate courses without the approval of the ME or IE Associate Chair. He will have to sign an Undergraduate Approval for Taking Graduate Courses form (available from the Office of the Registrar's website), which you must then take to the Office of the Registrar.
The ME or IE Associate Chair approves all ME or IE transfer credits from other institutions, Change of Major forms, graduation application and all other forms that require a departmental signature.
To be eligible for graduation, students transferring to NJIT must complete in residence at NJIT, at least 33 credits in upper division courses approved by the department of their major study.
All students enrolled in ME or IE may take the Fundamentals of Engineering (FE) Examination in order to be certified as a Professional Engineer. This exam is offered each regular semester. For more information, please go to http://engineering.njit.edu/academics/assessment/.
If you need a prerequisite permit or have restrictions due to major, bridge course, etc, please contact your advisor. If you need a closed course permit please complete the form provided via the link below.
Closed Course Permits
If the class you wish to register is full, please submit a closed course permit in order to be placed on the waiting list. Closed course permit requests are evaluated periodically. Please carefully read the instructions on the Closed Course Permit Application for the processing times.
To request a permit for a closed ME or IE course, please make sure you put yourself on the "WAITLIST" for the course as you register under banner. If a course do not have a "WAITLIST" please contact Mrs. Gina Michele or Mrs. Lucie Tchouassi. The department is not using a separate Closed Course Permit Application.
Closed Course Permits WILL NOT be granted to students who are currently enrolled in another section of the same course.
1. Closed Course Forms will not be granted by the Department of Mechanical and Industrial Engineering (MIE) if other sections of the course have not reached their maximum of number of students. The student should re-arrange their schedule to register in the section that has not reached its maximum size.
2. A Graduate Student who needs to take a ME course as a bridge course may be asked to provide a note from their graduate advisor or the admissions letter that specifies the required math course.
3. The processing of closed course permits will follow the schedule bellow:
a. The waitlist is being evaluated automatically as space becomes available in that course. Please be sure to check your email at least twice a day.
b. Intital evaluation of Closed course permits for Fall and Spring courses will be conducted once the grades for the semester in question are available in banner.This process will allow for increased classroom capacity and providing additional sections whenever feasible.
c. Once the waitlist is closed the department will began to issue permits, based on the waitlist and available capacity.
d. Closed course permit requests for Summer courses will be provided within a week.
e. Closed course permit requests for Winter courses will be provided within three (3) business days.
1. NOTE: The form asks for at least two (2) sections of the course to be listed (if available or possible). The more sections you provide will increase the chances of getting into the course.
2. The Department will review the Closed Course Request. If approved, an “electronic permit to enroll in the course” will be issued and an email will be sent to the student. “Electronic permits” are placed directly into NJIT’s computer system allowing the student to override the Closed Course.
Students need to then go on-line and attempt to register for the requested course(s). THE DEPT. OF MECHANICAL AND INDUSTRIAL ENGINEERING CANNOT REGISTER A STUDENT FOR A COURSE.